6.6.11

Maori Culture Day

Today was a double dose of Maori culture. I took the students to TePuia which is a natural hot spring and Maori culture center. We got to see a traditional Maori meeting house and learn about their tattooing, dress, weapons, songs, and cooking. I wish theyballowed photography on this one area because it was chock full of thngs I don't want to forget! After the Maori culture area a few students and o headed to the hot pools and mud pools. The whole area stunk like the spa but it was worth it with what we got to see. The bubbling mud and boiling water coming right out of the ground. There was a geyser t the top of the waterfall that let to a really pretty rock formation. We had a really fun time investigating but sweet lord almighty it was a lot of walking. I had to stop for a cheeseburger break twice! Not really but it would have been nice. I did happen to find a set of Maori dolls for my mom's doll collection. I saw some at the Auckland museum but this was a two doll set in traditional dress...so cool!

The boundaries between the students and myself are staring to come down and we are melding together well. Apparently Mark intimidates them (no idea why) because they all talk to me bat logistics and such and I have to go ask Mark because I can only get away with "I dunno" for so long! I joke with him that he is the mastermind and I am the PR person doing all the information releasing, lol. Fortunately they all still listen when I tell stuff so the closeness in age doesn't kill my status as an authority figure (with MOST of them). I am really only struggling with interpersonal drama right now as anticipated wth a group this big. It is almost difficult to try to see through the cloud of hormones!
This in itself should be a study!

For dinner this evening we went to Mitai, a Maori culturual presentation and traditional meal. The students really seemed to like the performance. It is quite intriguing that the Maori use dancing and games to prepare themselves for war. Repetitive motions strengthen their wrists and forearms for battle. Their songs are how they pass their stories from generation to generation in an oral tradition, unlike the written tradition we use. In the 1800s they begN using guitars to aid in thie songs to help them appeal to their younger generations so they could learnk the stories in a fun way.

We leave for Wellington tomorrow at 8:45. At least we get to sleep till a normal hour! I am all packed like a good little leader and as always....my students are out drinking....again. Pattern? Me thinks so.

Pretty soon I will figure ut how to do pictures with an iPad and I will upload them to a flickr account so everyone can see them. I only have 1200 right now....shouldn't take ya too long to catch up ;)

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting to read about how you mediate the students and Mark...same thing last year :) An emerging pattern?

    ReplyDelete