3.6.11

And so it begins.....

Anticipation building...
The drive up to the shuttle meeting was tense. In an attempt to look cool as a cucumber I was reassuring Sean that everything would go smoothly even though inside I was just as nervous.

Our shuttle ride was of no mention...just a shuttle ride. We got to the airport early and hung out with the group before we could check in. Once in line we waited and waited while a huge group of middle schoolers headed for Europe checked in. They took
45 minutes because every third person had overpacked. Fortunately for our group I brought a luggage scale and we had already weighed our bags and redistributed what needed to be. Once it was Our turn we whopped through! In about 10 minutes we had checked in and gone through security!

Flights...
Our first flight was an American Airlines from Chicago to Los Angeles. Umm...when I say it sucked that is a gross understatement. The plane felt tiny and hot, the attendants were very rude. Very Rude. One of the students caught guff for asking for a bottle of water. Another got some attitude for asking what soda they carried asking for mt dew. God forbid you needed a refill. We were all grouped together into
Three rows so we could all chat during the short flight. We were so happy to get off that plane!

The flight from Los Angeles to Auckland was spectacular. Now, Mark had mentioned prior to our trip that Qantas flights were the best flights around. I am a believer!

The attendants were so cordial and happy. The seats were comfortable and came with individual tv screens with a variety a of movies and tv shows to choose from. The food....ahhh the food. Dinner was a choice between mahi mahi or delicious chicken and vegetables with a side salad and roll and just amazing. A few hours after dinner snack bags were given out with trail mix and a cookie and a few other snacks plus a bottle of water. During the night (pillows, eye shades, and blankets provided) they came around with apples and water, and breakfast was also great! Cereal or eggs...the eggs came with sautéed mushrooms, tomato, and spinach on an English muffin...and they both came with fresh fruit, yogurt, muffin, juice, and tea.

Now this second flight was 14 hours. Yes, 14 hours. Although is was e longest flight I have ever encountered it was pleasant. Plenty of sleep was acquired and I watched The Big Bang Theory on the tv. Loved it!

Arrival....
The drive to the hostel was exciting. Like many other countries they drive on the left and it was thrilling as it seemed so illegal! The plants and homes reminded me a lot of Hawaii but it is a little chillier and less mountains in this part of the country. We got to the hostel and were unable to check in but we were able to shower. It is amazing how much a shower can improve your overall feeling.

The hostel is nice and has a community atmosphere. Plenty of seating to talk with other travelers and playa games. After a lunch of sushi I had a lovely chat with a British gentleman in the hostel. While we were chatting it began to rain heavily but stopped after a few minutes. It is dreary but the temperature is nice.

So far hostel living is definitely agreeing with me! The showers are nice and the room is just enough for me. I have two beds but it is just me in there. Room to spread out! A few British young men were playing quarters earlier and I encouraged some of our students to go talk to them...I guess they all of a sudden developed extreme shyness!

This evening the students have free time and I look forward to playing some games at the hostel with a wonderful bottle of wine.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I said "love this so far" which means what exactly? That I don't expect to love the rest of your updates?? :P What I *meant* to say is simply LOVE THIS> :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your there safe and sound....the Quantas airline food sounded delic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be writing a strongly worded letter to American Airlines for the rudeness. Glad the next flight was better. Glad you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete