26.6.11

Birthday cake and mustaches...yeah that's normal

It is winter here. A fact we noticed heavily as we headed further and further south in New Zealand. In Cairns....not so obvious. I enjoyed lounging by the pool listening to the schizophrenic mix tape that is my iPod and soaking up the sun (in moderation, mostly in the shade and wearing sunblock...not stupid, just missed warm sunshine!)

I hit the grocery store for all the makings of fajitas and spent the majority of my day poolside. Making fajitas was fun. Very relaxing to stand there and chop 8 peppers, 4 onions, a head of lettuce and some tomatoes....oh and 2.5 kilos of beef. Fortunately when I reached beef slicing stage someone finally decided to help. Group meals are slowly becoming a group eating and cleaning effort....but a me cooking effort. That's cool tho since I don't enjoy sitting by idly. I did get a blister tho. Ugh. Next time I am packing a really nice knife set since only one hostel has had a knife sharpener.

I cant complain about the prep time. I talked to some really interesting people and prior to that Sarah and I made a birthday cake for Emily. One woman was from Tokyo. Super cute kittle lady, reminded me exactly of Miss Swan from M.A.D. TV though. She had the same intonation to her voice, same speech pattern, and similar pronunciations. I was waiting for a "look-a like-a man" but it never happened. Damn. Would have made my day. Oh well...she was fun to talk to. Quite the world traveler! She was very fascinated by how much veggies I kept chopping. She chatted with every person that came in the kitchen. Very dissimilar from other Japanese travelers I have met.

We had a fun birthday party for Emily. I bought fake mustaches for everyone to wear...even Mark wore one and he has quite the impressive REAL mustache. We giggled and talked like old men. Such fun. The cake was ridiculous and Sarah and I dubbed it, "The ugliest cake in the history of the world." It's ok...we coated it in sprinkles to hide the ugly. We are probably all going to have massive heart attacks tonight since it needed 2lbs of butter for two cakes and frosting. YIKES! We had small pieces tho...we should be ok!

I have finally reached that point where I am ready to be home. We have had a few days of down time and the less busy we are the more and ore I miss home and my husband. It sucks that most days end with, "I wish Isaiah could see this," so he will have to come some day. He would love meeting all the people and seeing amazing photo opportunities. I think the people more than the sights tho. He has never met a stranger and there are literally hundreds of people to meet in the hostels! Poor Skipper is missing out seeing her homeland lol. She is an Australian Cattle Dog after all...so I will make sure to show her all my pictures!

Only 6 days now. Even though day 7 is a full travel day that will feel like 6 days before it is over...we have 6 full days left down under. I seriously loved New Zealand, Australia is absolutely beautiful, but I am less of a beach bum and more of a temperate weather person. Looking back it seems like Auckland and Rotorua where ancient history, not 20 days ago! I have been making mental lists of what to do for next time. What to bring that I forgot this time, what to leave behind since I haven't used it in 26 days....the damn knife set....and matching T-shirts for my little shenaniganizers. Easier to count/keep track of them if they all match!

Off to pack and the bed. Getting ready to enjoy my last 6 days in the land down under.

No comments:

Post a Comment