27.6.11

Hidden treasure on the coast

Today was so laid back. A short leisurely drive along the beaches and rain forests brought us to beautiful Port Douglas, Queensland. We saw wallabies and a huge crocodile just on the drive! The beaches here are picturesque, the town is so incredibly touristy, and i totally love it.

Port o'Call, where we are staying, is such a gem! Beautiful lagoon pool, open air everything, huge rooms with private bathrooms, and the sweetest little nugget Jack Russell terrier, Jessie. She loves to give kisses and although I totally cheated on Skipper today....I was really missing puppy kisses and couldn't resist her sweet little face.

We went into town to get some lunch...always an adventure! Fish and chips is literally on every menu down here. Kyle had that, Sarah had a burger and I got wedges with sweet chili sauce. Yummy. We were talking at lunch about how we will have to control our spending when we get home. Everything is going to appear to be so cheap! Three good size chicken breasts at the grocery is $13.00. Box of cereal, $7.00. Want some cheese? It is only $12.00 a kilo......get my drift? I will see cereal for $2.39 and buy like 12, "oh my gosh it is soooo cheap!!!" lol.

I saw some more kangaroo hand back scratchers. For kangaroos being such a "pest" and all...their souvenirs sure are expensive! The one paw back scratcher is $35.00! Oy. You would think since they hunt and eat them as much as cows...they would have ready access to them all the time. I don't want to pay more than $15.00 for the severed plasticky paw of a kangaroo on a stick.

We hit the beach for a little it. The weather didn't stay super nice so we were only there about 30 minutes. Oh well...at least I can say I laid out on 4 mile beach in Australia. We saw a bunch of sand crabs rolling little sand balls...too funny! Kyle also triumphantly removed a coconut from a palm tree using a piece of driftwood. He was quite proud.

Minor shopping took place, them grocery shopping for dinner. We made huge salads and the boys added steak to theirs. Delicious. Tomorrow we are walking through the world's oldest rainforest and going on a crocodile river trip...it is going to be scary! I am really excited. I have been enjoying the environmental communication portions of this excursion. The efforts small groups of people go to in order to educate people. Simply amazing. They work so hard to preserve their small corner of the planet so the animals can thrive and be here for future generations to enjoy. Many times on is trip I feel like I am a pretty useless person; my effort could be used elsewhere. Puts things in perspective really quickly.

As our trip is coming to a closeI find myself reflecting back more and more frequently of all the places we have been, people I have met and the impact this short time down under has had on me. Even if I did this exact same study abroad trip every single year...I know I would get something out of it every time because of the people I have met along the way this time around. It really makes me excited to think of how it will go next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment