We arrived in Napier tonight. It's essentially the Napa valley of New Zealand. The local terrain and sunshine in Hawkes Bay creates the perfect weather for grape growing. For me, being around vineyards and rolling hills of grapes is old hat. I'm from the Finger Lakes region in NY so hundreds of rolling hills covered in vineyard after vineyard is something I've been seeing since I was a child. I'm not trying to say I'm unimpressed, but I am also going to get to see OTHER things here :D
Tomorrow, Rebecka and I are going to the aquarium. I'm going to play photographer while she swims with sharks. I considered it for about 90 seconds until I found out there is no cage. Yup...staying out of the water. At least she'll get some great photos this way! Last time I was on this trip I saw a reef shark at the Great Barrier Reef. That was it for me and swimming. (Don't judge me!)
Melanie and I reviewed the students' field notes on the bus today. And by that I mean I read two and my car sickness took over so I took a nap and Mel read them. I got next time, pinkie swear Mel!!! It is fun to see what the students value and find important enough to write down. Even saw a cute drawing of a Maori warrior in one of their notebooks. We gave some tips to improve their notes so they'll have struggle free paper writing come July.
Dinner tonight was deli sandwiches, chips, celery and carrots and a pasta salad. You ever have those moments where something so incredibly simple just tastes SO STINKIN GOOD?!?! That sandwich was a slice of heaven and the pasta salad was awesome. Melanie loaded it up with green olives. I think she likes me :D
Students are heading out to practice the ancient Japanese art of Karaoke...at an Irish pub....in New Zealand Now THAT is an intercultural experience! I'm going to stay in and play Farkle. I don't want to intimidate them with my sweet karaoke skills. That, and I'm apparently 85 years old because I see myself going to bed by 10 tonight. It sounds AWESOME. Maybe when we get to my favorite stop (Franz Josef) I'll play trivia at The Landing with them. I'm also looking forward to practicing my sweet rock skipping skills in Queenstown. I got big dreams for this trip :D
Farkle is calling my name and there are asses that need a kicking so I better go. Don't forget to feed the fish at the top of the browser. They gotta eat, too!!!
How do I feed the fish? I want to help!
ReplyDeleteI figured it out!!!! YIPPEE!!!!
DeleteThanks! They get mighty hungry swimming around their rectangle all day :D
ReplyDelete