15.6.13

Glaciers and chili and raindrops OH MY

The students hiked a glacier (pronounced glay-see-err here) and then saw a lot of rain here in Franz Josef.  They loved the glacier, even though they were quite exhausted afterward and were retelling the same stories all afternoon.  That evening Mark treated us to his chili.  I have to say, Mark is an amazing chef and we all know chili isn’t complex, but Mark’s chili is just SO GOOD.  We had it over rice, which is my favorite way to eat chili, and had a good hearty bread.  Chili always tastes great on a cold day and the students were chilled to the bone from walking on ice for a few hours.

I didn’t go on the glacier this time.  I had a good time in the small town near the glacier instead.  Hiking isn’t exactly something I would say I’m good at.  Nor would  I claim to really enjoy it to want to go out and do it all the time.  Melanie is a hik’r babe so she was in her element hiking that glacier.  I had a lovely scone, velvety hot chocolate, and took a few walks around town. 

I made a friend in that wee town at the bottom of Fox Glacier.  He was a horse.  Literally.  I stood just long enough to take out my camera and snap a few photos when he decided he would come over and investigate.  I held my hand out for him to sniff me and he licked my hand.  We bonded J Then, his friend got jealous and came over to lick my hand, too.  People are delicious.  Generally it’s just the salt on our hands they like, but he was so curious.  I went back an hour later and he had moved on to the back of the pasture.  I guess our bond was fleeting at best.  Oh well.

Merino wool is wicked popular as a gift from this country because it’s from a breed of sheep here, Merino sheep.  It’s soft, but they make it even softer (for socks and other clothing items) but blending it with silk, angora, alpaca, and POSSUM!  Now, these possum are not like ours.  They honestly look like giant sugar gliders in the face and more like a small house cat in the body.  Possums here don’t have a nasty face or tail like our possums.  I had a fun chat with the shop assistant and she explained all the different blends and we laughed about how gross our possums are.  They are a pest in both countries (US and NZ) but they are at least quasi-cute here. 

Today was supposed to be a nice walk to Peter’s Pond, a beautiful reflection pond about a mile from the base of Franz Josef Glacier.  Unfortunately it was raining all day.  A steady rain, too.  Not a patchy one.  So we stayed in today (a few trips to the bakery and grocery) and the group played games, watched movies, journaled, interviewed people in the lounge for their papers, and there was a LOT of Skyping going on!

Dinner was made-to-order omelets.  We had chopped mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, black olives, green peppers, and BACON!  Bacon here is more like ham.  If you want bacon that is more similar to what we put on a BLT (or anything, really) you have to look for streaky bacon.  And it’s crazy expensive.  BLT’s are not on our menu this trip.  It must have looked like a circus in the kitchen with Melanie, Mark and I running three pans making omelet after omelet.  I love breakfast for dinner so my excitement rose with each one I made. 
After dinner we held office hours again and touched base with those few people who had to hammer out their last details of their paper topics or tweaking their interview protocols.  Damn….school work on study abroad.  Their journals and notes and interviews have vastly improved since the first week.  It’s great to see it. 

We had a brief meeting today (halfway point GAHHH!!!) asking what observations they had about how others perceive Americans or what they thought people were saying about them.  Melanie and I have overheard multiple people (not realizing we’re with the group) complaining about the “American group.”  This is a really common phenomenon as it’s really common for Americans to speak louder than most other cultures.  But you also have to consider there are 15 of them and just think of what it sounds like having that many 20-somethings talking, sharing stories, telling about some exciting thing….it gets pretty noisy.  


I can’t believe we’re already at our halfway point.  A week from today is Sydney.  It seems like it took SO long to get here and now it’s almost over.  NOOOOO.  Ok. I’m done complaining.  Oh…and I had an amazing pastry thingy today that was drizzled with passion fruit.  I haven’t had gelato yet on this trip (which is impressive since I probably spent over $150 on just gelato last time) but tomorrow we head to Queenstown and I am totally having gelato there.  WOOHOO.  And Ferg Burger….it’s a local famous restaurant.  Ok….I’m going to bed now, up early to head to Queenstown!

No comments:

Post a Comment