Finding Nemo is a spectacular film. It's funny, has a great story, has thrilling adventure and some really great advice on life (just keep swimming!). I personally have a fear of open water. Whether it's a lake or ocean or even a stream, I don't like water I cannot see the edges of. Basically, if it's not a pool, I'm not really interested. So seeing Nemo in his natural environment, the drop off, would scare the bejeesus out of me. Snorkeling 30yrds from shore two years ago was frightening enough!
There have been a few times in my life when I have gone in open water. I've snorkeled in the ocean in Hawaii twice (both times the sheer joy of seeing either dolphins or green sea turtles is what kept me in the water), I have snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef (stayed too close to shore for anything to have a shot at me) and then been in various lakes etc but always close to shore. The reason being I am incredibly afraid, not of the water, but of the THINGS in the water. You name it...it freaks me out. I almost had a panic attack once because seaweed touched my leg. You'd think Jaws himself was clenching down on my femur the way I screamed that day.
I'll admit it and I have no shame, so stop judging me. You have something you're afraid of...mine is creatures that can't be trained.
Anywhoo, so this morning I faced my fears in a quasi open water area. I went in a bajillion gallon saltwater tank and swam with sharks. And I'm talking good size sharks. The biggest one was 7feet long. Her body was as big around as I am (and I LOVE cheeseburgers to give you a size idea). There were three males that were between 4 and 6 feet long. Then various other smaller sharks about a foot to three feet long. All in all, I think they said something like 20 sharks were in there. One of them even hit my flippers with her tail. I almost had a full on panic attack. But flailing attracts them. I'm amazed I was able to keep my cool.
In addition to all these sharks were giant stingrays (8 feet across!!!) and groupers that had to weigh over 100lbs. Almost the whole time I was in that tank I was holding Rebecka's hand. It was her crazy idea to do this, and if I was going down, she was coming with me :) I agreed to do this last night, but upon discovering there was no chain mail or a shark cage I was instantly out. Then, my husband so eloquently put it (when I said I was too afraid to do it), "That's bullshit...go swim with sharks!" Ok. Now that I think about it...maybe he saw how much my accidental life insurance is worth.....nah.
I have to say, this was the SCARIEST thing I have ever done. My heart was racing the whole time. I kept scanning the tank looking for the two big sharks (one is aptly named Big John) so I could keep my eye on them. Damn marine biologists creating realistic reef style tanks. Those bastards had tons of places to hide!! Then BAM shark in your face. They have the creepiest eyes. They would come up and investigate you and see what you were up to and I am not kidding when I say the big female (7 footer) swam under me so close had she not turned her tail would have grazed my stomach.
Talk about facing your fears. OMG. I'm all set for thrill seeking now. I'm never going to bungee jump or canyon swing or jump from a plane. Hopefully, though, when I'm at the Great Barrier reef this year, I don't panic and head for shore when I see a two foot reef shark patrolling the sea floor. Looking back...that dinky little shark that scared me out of the water two years ago would be an appetizer for the mama that struck my flipper today.
It's 4:15 here and after that much excitement in one day, I'm already down for going to bed. OY.
Wellington tomorrow!!! Nation's capitol city and where Peter Jackson's studio is located (lord of the rings director!) They're shooting the second part of the Hobbit, maybe we'll see someone famous in a cafe....we can dream, can't we?!
No comments:
Post a Comment