I have to say this: even though I have been on this trip once before I knew for a fact it would be totally different and the same all at once. New students add a whole new dynamic to each trip and I was weary our group wouldn't be as awesome as our group last time, but so far so good. I might need to rent an old Sesame Street episode about the importance of listening/following directions but at least we don't have ANY drama, they all *seem* to get along famously and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they give each other hugs before bed at night.
It's weird being on almost the same itinerary and having it be SO incredibly different. I do find myself answering questions with, "well, last time....." or "two years ago we....." so I'm trying to be conscious and aware of this and NOT do it. Nothing worse than having someone constantly talk about what used to be or how it went years ago. This is a new day with a new group. NEW. NEW. NEW. I gotta keep reminding myself. It's so easy to relax around this bunch I sometimes forget we're not actual residents here and that we normally don't live together.
Today was an awesome day at Te Puia. Stunk something terrible, but that's the price you pay getting up close and personal with geothermal activity! The weather prediction for the day was this: 70% chance of rain and chilly. What we had while at Te Puia: warm....and LOADS of sunshine! I guess Chief Jersey (honorary chief from Mitai last night) gave a good enough speech to the Mitai chief last night and made sky father happy to bless us with good weather. We were all thanking Jersey all day long for the great weather he gave us.
I love Te Puia. It brings so many different aspects of culture and environment together all in a nice educational and exercise laden package. The students loved it, and man alive did they take some awesome photos. I have been so mad at myself since we boarded the plane in San Francisco that I didn't bring what I refer to as the 'big camera.' Just thinking of all the amazing shots I could be getting that are just dull with my point-and-shoot camera. Oh well...can't get it here so I will have to make do!
After Te Puia shenanigans, which were so fun, we unpacked everything they learned and answered questions on the bus ride home. A handful of students went to the Countdown (grocery) with me to get some odds and ends. I love hearing what they think of the local grocery stores. Now, it may sound weird to say the stores are different, but they seriously are.
Main differences: first (and most obvious) how everything is measured. Unless their phones have a conversion app they struggle to figure out if they are getting a good price. Second, the produce is different. Some things cost ridiculous prices because they are not grown here or it's just stuff we can't get back home. Third, (and most disturbing) was the whole skinned pig heads in the deli. Cause that's normal. WTF. They still had eyes. Melanie and I took a picture the other day.....I legit touched a pig snout. Weirdest thing ever. And finally, the differences in products. A lot, and by that I mean pretty much all, of the students assumed they would be able to buy their favorite products. Well, some don't exist here. Boooooooooooo
We made our first group meal tonight: broccoli and potato cheese soup with bread. Huge success. And we taught Sam how to make soup. She was worried she would ruin anything she touched, that girl can make a mean cheese sauce. You could see the sense of accomplishment on all their faces when everyone loved the meal. After dinner we surprised Katie with a cake and candles, a bunch of balloons, and a moustache party. OMG if they wouldn't kill me in my sleep I would post all the photos right now. I think I might bury the photos in another post just so you can see them. You would never think $4 in face moustaches from the Dollar Tree in good ol'Charleston IL would cause so much fun but most of us were laughing through tears. Even got Mark to wear one over his real moustache. Victory is mine!
Half the group is going to the Polynesian Spa tonight to enjoy the natural hot pools. I was rudely awoken before 6am today by our neighbors the world's loudest rugby team. Apparently 6am is an AWESOME time for 30 guys to exercise as loud as they can. 6am is not early for me...but I usually go to bed at 9:30/10 if I am going to be up at 6. The rugby team felt it necessary to do Haka after Haka until after 11!!! The only good thing: all that noise wasn't a SINGLE American student. Tiny victories....they mean a lot!
Ok....my eyes are drooping and I'm surprised I didn't have more words with tiny red wiggly lines telling me my spelling is horrendous. Until tomorrow.....GOOD NIGHT!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment