As I write this blog post I have (somewhat over share) clammy hands, racing heart, noodle legs, and and sunken stomach. Why may you ask....I just watched not one but TWO videos of one of our students canyon swinging. Queenstown is one of my favorite stops in NZ. This city is so picturesque, has amazing restaurants, pubs with great live music, shopping, skiing, hiking, and a TON of adrenaline pumping activities. I, personally, come here for everything listed before skiing. My foray into the life of an adrenaline junky was short lived at best. The whopping hour build up to my swim with sharks and the thirty minute swim were enough for me.
I have an extreme fear of falling from heights. Heights in general aren't THAT bothersome to me (unless there is a glass floor or something) but the idea of just free falling sounds completely and horrifyingly terrible to me. The thought of paying to free fall is even more mind boggling. The one thing I don't like about this town: Watching videos of people I know well and really like catapult themselves from perfectly good platforms to the earth below at a bajillion miles an hour strapped to an elongated hair tie and a seat belt.
Ok...well maybe it's a little safer than that but that's what is SEEMS like and for me, that is enough of a deterrent!
The worst part of it all is because it scares me so much to fall...I can't help but watch over and over how the students on this trip are all, "Hey I jumped off a platform on a swing and dropped 8402934802984 feet into a canyon. How was your day?" It's like no sweat to do this stuff. HOW?!??!? I can't even go off a high dive at the pool (soft-ish landing) and here they are dropping hundreds of feet before the line catches them. Or worse, they drop HEAD FIRST into a canyon on a damn rubber band and call it exciting. I will admit, bungee jumping where it was invented IS pretty cool......I'm good with driving by it and saying I saw where bungee jumping was invented. It is SO unnatural to throw yourself into a canyon. For fun. For over a hundred bucks. Multiple times (you apparently get a discount on the second drop).
My idea of fun was how I spent my day. I slept in. I skyped my parents. I went shopping and split a Fergburger with Melanie. More shopping. Made homemade mac and cheese with the group and then went to a pub for live music and a NZ beer. Came home and played euchre till midnight. AWESOME DAY. There was no falling, no fear, no concern of wetting my pants in front of others (or worse....).
I have to say, I've watched (I think) 10 of these videos now. Thankfully, all the students come back with HUGE smiles on their faces, the excitement of "watch my video!!!!" and no whiplash. I really couldn't ask for more than that. I am, however, impressed not one of them (yet) has had any embarrassing videos (if you know what I mean).
Well...off to bed now. I have a huge exciting day planned tomorrow. I might even try a new flavor of gelato.....
nah. Passion fruit is the best. Why change what isn't broken?
No comments:
Post a Comment