2.7.11

The things I learned without realizing I was learning them

Bittersweet is the only way to describe this day. We woke up late, hit the mall for a bit, grabbed some lunch, went to 8456473822 souvenir shops, hung out by the pier and got some sunshine, had gelato and then our last group meal together. I am going to miss this but I am ready to go home.

Looking back to day 1 in Auckland, New Zealand, I never would have guessed I would be where I am today. Not in the physical/geographical sense, but more of the personal development sense. I was so hell bent on being authoritarian so the students would understand the boundaries we have I forgot to be a person, I was a policy robot. I was still quite uptight in Rotorua and Wellington before I started to relax. "They're adults...they can make their own choices and deal with consequences." Well, as the trip progressed I tried to relax more. Once I gave up on those ridiculous boundaries I started to really get to know the 13 unique people on this trip.

We all make snap judgements about people, it is how we are hard wired. We try to make judgments and assumptions so we can anticipate action/behavior to help ease anxiety of the unknown. Through getting to know everyone, I realized I was way off on a few of the group members.

It is humbling and exciting to realize what we were hoping students would get out of the intercultural experience, I got out of spending time with them. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world, and believe it or not, I am even more outgoing now. I am more confidant in myself as a leader for this experience and I find myself attached to each and every student. There have been days when they drove me crazy and days I would laugh so hard my stomach hurt and tears rolled down my face. I have watched them learn and experience the world and grow as people. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Most of them will never realize the connection or attribute their growth to this trip. They will simply feel the same as they did 33 days ago, even though I can vouch their eyes have opened. Maybe not to big global issues, but to the every day differences, struggles, similarities, and taken for granted thy have in life. Their behavior speaks to growth but more importantly is what they say. I can tell they are all changing their ideas about the world and how even though it is huge, we are a global community.

I have learned one important thing I heard years ago but it never stuck: don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive. I focused a lot on the little things and missed the bigger picture at times. I took some time to realize I needed to get back in the flow of the universe, perpetuate my attitude of gratitude, and take life in stride while loving what is. That way....I know I will make it out alive.

1 comment: